Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reduced-Fat Chicken Marsala Recipe


I'm not a fan of winter. Even though I was born during a blizzard, I have no affinity for anything to do with cold weather. I don't like skiing, snowboarding or even walking outside when it's cold. The one thing I do like about winter is hearty cold-weather food that cheers us all up. (That and big sweaters to cover my food sins.)

Even though it's officially spring, winter seems to be dragging on forever. Last night, I was craving something hearty and warm so I whipped this recipe up. It's quite easy and perfect over some pasta and with a Caesar salad on the side.

Reduced-Fat Chicken Marsala Recipe
Ingredients
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (remove all traces of fat)
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (or to taste)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
fresh ground pepper
olive oil


1 tsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 container fresh mushrooms (I use baby bellas since the flavor is better in this dish)
1 can reduced-fat or low-fat Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
1 cup marsala wine
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp sugar
fresh basil (to taste)
Goya light seasoning salt to taste
Water as needed to un-thicken sauce


Soak chicken breasts in water and vinegar.  Season flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried basil. (Taste flour and more seasoning as needed.) If chicken breasts are quite thick, slice them across the middle so you have two full breasts only thinner. Pound them down a bit if needed. Heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat. Dip chicken in flour and place in pan when oil is hot. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Ensure chicken is fully cooked and set aside.


In the same pan, add sliced mushroom and garlic. Add 1 tsp more of oil if needed. After mushrooms cook down and become golden brown, add soup, wine and beef broth and stir. Add sugar. Add water to un-thicken sauce as needed. Add chicken back to the pan and re-heat. Add basil. Serve over pasta if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Ooohh, this sounds really good! Copying it now and it's going in my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen. Let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, I love cooking with marsala. I use it in sausage with peppers and onions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I'll have to try that! I also use it Chicken Cacciatore too.

    ReplyDelete