Monday, May 13, 2013

Gone Gluten Free - Asiago-Peppercorn Wedge Salad and Chicken Sandwich

So, I've been grossly neglecting my blog. It's largely a combination of not having time to cook and post and a brand new way of eating. I recently eliminated wheat from my diet to see if I had a wheat/gluten intolerance. Low and behold, I believe I do.
I was tested for celiac with negative results but I have to say that eliminating wheat  has cured a whole host of long-term issues that I've had for a very long time. Gone are my migraines, general all-around feeling of malaise, skin issues, achy muscles and, of course, the dreaded digestive problems. It wasn't easy to say good-bye to my beloved wheat but I have to say this sandwich makes a gluten-free life a whole lot happier! This sandwich was inspired by the most amazing wedge salad at Village Whiskey. If you're in the Philly or Atlantic City area, check them out! There are no measurements in this recipe and it takes a little prep work but it's certainly worth it.

Asiago-Peppercorn Wedge Salad and Chicken Sandwich

Rotisserie or grilled chicken breast
Gluten-free baguette or other GF bread (Note: I used Scharr)
Olive oil
Marzetti Asiago Peppercorn dressing
Fresh ground pepper
Handful of grape tomatoes
Sliced red onion
Turkey bacon
Parmigano Reggiano cheese in a block (Note: use a similar cheese if you like)
Shredded iceberg lettuce ( Note: I buy mine pre-packed from Walmart for like $1 and change)

Toss tomatoes with a touch of olive oil and place in a backing dish in 400 degree oven. Roast for 15 minutes or until wrinkled and starting to brown.

Sautee sliced red onion with a touch of olive oil and cook until soft. Cook turkey bacon to desired consistency. I like mine crisp!

Toss shredded iceberg letttuce with a desired amount of Asiago Peppercorn dressing and fresh ground black pepper.

Brush break with olive oil and grill until lightly toasted. Remove from pan. Heat chicken up as well. Take a vegetable peeler and shave off your desired amount of Parmigano Reggiano cheese. Pull together chicken in a similar size bunch as your sandwich bread and top with bacon and cheese. To melt the cheese quickly add a touch of water to the pan to steam and cover with a lid.

Assemble sandwich by taking roasted tomatoes and laying them on one half of the toasted bread. Press down on them with a fork so that get absorbed into the bread. Top with grilled onions and lettuce mixture.

Add chicken, cheese and bacon to the other half of the bread. Now carefully put the two halves together. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment