Monday, November 29, 2010

Best Moist Coconut Cake Recipe Ever


I'm absolutely koo koo for coconut. When I was little my mom took one vacation to Puerto Rico during her years as a single mom. She came back with a penchant for pina coladas. She would make me virgin pina coladas when she made the real ones for her grown-up friends. My love affair with coconut grew from there. Coconut shrimp, thai coconut soup (Tom Kha Gai), Rocher Raffallo & coconut mojitos. If it contains coconut I will devour it. I always feel like I'm on vacation in an exotic place when I eat coconut. It's funny how food can transport you.

We had a couple of parties to go to this weekend so I decided to make some desserts to take along. Winter is around the corner so the doldrums are about to set it in. I decided it was definitely time for a little coconut in my life.


This is probably the easiest and best-tasting cake recipe I know of. It's sure to be a hit and no one will know you used a box of cake mix. I tend to make my own cakes but I've been on a long pursuit for the perfect vanilla cake. I haven't yet found it and until I do this is the best non-chocolate cake I have up my sleeve.


The trick to the recipe is to let the cake cool before adding the sauce and putting it in the fridge. Let it sit overnight. I use less sauce then the recipe calls for so it's not overly sweet or soggy. I add the whipped cream and coconut just before I'm about to serve it. I always add my own extras to tweak recipes and suit them my own tastes. I encourage you to do the same. Experiment and have fun with your recipes. Never follow them exactly and you will usually will find something that improves it. But like Mr. T tells me make sure to write it down, so when you find the right balance or add something spectacular you can recreate it.


The Best Coconut Cake Recipe Ever
Moist Coconut Cake
Ingredients
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 (14 ounce) can coconut cream
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan

In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, water and coconut flavoring. Beat for 2 minutes and pour into 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.

In a medium bowl, combine coconut cream with sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. When cake comes out of the oven, poke holes into it in even rows using a large fork or chopsticks. Pour milk mixture over, allowing it to soak into the cake. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

In a large bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff. Spread over cooled cake. Sprinkle top with flaked coconut.

1 comment:

  1. Truly, this is the best Moist Coconut Cake Recipe I have ever seen. Keep sharing more recipes like this. I think you should join the Nom Food Community too to share your recipes, food photos and live cooking videos at the foodie’s app.

    ReplyDelete