Friday, November 26, 2010

I never met a chocolate cake I didn't like or have I?


I decided to make something different for Thanksgiving last night. I'm not much of a pumpkin pie fan but we sure love chocolate at Casa de Elle Beau. So I gave this recipe for molten lava cakes a shot. I looked at several recipes including Jean Georges' - the originator of the molten cake trend.
I went with Gale Gand's since she's always reminded me of my mom. The recipe was easy to follow but I made the batter and put it in the fridge to make later. Turns out you have to bake the cakes longer when refrigerated. My first attempt was a soupy mess.


Second attempt went back into the oven twice. They actually didn't turn out too bad, but I was just really sick of this fussy little cake by the time I got them right. So I just wasn't able to appreciate it by the time I wrapped by lips around it. I cut mine in half and put the rest in the fridge.


I just ate it for lunch cold and it was a surprisingly delicious fudge-y brownie.  Next time I may try a new recipe but this wasn't too bad after all.


Molten Chocolate Cake
Recipe by Gale Gand
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces plus 6 tablespoons butter
  • 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
  • 6 yolks
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup flour
Melt the chocolate and butter together. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk together the yolks and eggs then mix in the powdered sugar. Whisk this into the chocolate mixture then whisk in the flour. Fill 12 greased 4-ounce foil tins with the batter and refrigerate until ready to bake, or bake immediately. Bake in a preheated 450 degree F oven for 5 to 6 minutes from cold, or 4 to 5 minutes from room temperature. Turn out of tins immediately onto the plate.

1 comment: