Sunday, May 22, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes Recipe with Blueberry Syrup

I don't know what it is about lemon, but it makes my mouth sing. I remember my friend from grade school used eat lemon sections like oranges. We used to share our snacks in the way that young children do and she'd always give me a section.
I could never eat the whole lemon like she did, but I sure can hold my own when it comes to lemons.

I woke up this morning and the world hadn't ended, so I decided to make a proper Sunday breakfast. I had some leftover ricotta and saw some lemons in the fridge. I decided to experiment. The one thing that hits home about all of this end of the world hoo-ha is that you only live once.  Lemon ricotta pancakes it is, damn it! I had some frozen blueberries so I made a blueberry syrup to go on top. These are great when you're looking for a change from the same old, same old. This recipe serves about 2. Double it if you're making pancakes for the fam.


Lemon Ricotta Pancakes Recipe with Blueberry Syrup


Ingredients
1 cup Kruteaz pancake mix (Trust me here, if you can find Krusteaz don't stray from it. They sell big bags at Sam's club.)
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup ricotta cheese (I used fat free just 'cuz I need to lose some weight. Please go with full fat if that's not a concern.)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tbs sugar
1 to 1 1/2 cup water (I like my pancakes thin like a crepe so I add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water. If you prefer thicker pancakes add less water.)


Blueberry Syrup
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs agave syrup (use honey as a replacement)
1 tbs. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. corn starch
1 tbs. water


Cook blueberries, sugar and agave over medium-high heat. Let it boil for a minute or two, being careful not to let it burn. Reduce heat to a simmer. Mix cornstarch and water and add to mixture. Let the sauce thicken up a bit. Add lemon juice. If it gets a little too thick add a little more water.


Mix pancake mix, lemon zest. lemon juice, ricotta cheese, vanilla, sugar and water together in a medium mixing bowl with a fork. Gently mix so that all ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix or it will effect the texture of your pancakes. It's okay to have a few lumps here and there.


Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Spray pan with Pam and slowly pour mixture to form the size pancake you prefer. When you see bubbles form and the edges start to look dry the pancake is ready to flip. You can always pull up a corner to see if the bottom of the pancake is golden brown. Flip and cook on the other side. Repeat. If you pan is large enough your can make multiple pancakes at once.


Butter the pancakes if you like. Top with a couple spoonfuls of blueberry syrup and finish it off with your favorite maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment