Monday, July 30, 2012

Tomato Tart Recipe

I really love savory French tarts but I've been trying to really watch my calories lately. So when my new Cooking Light showed up in the mail and I saw a recipe for under 300 calories, I decided to give it a whirl.
Since I can never leave recipes alone, I did tweak this a bit but only very slightly. I'm certain the original recipe is just as good as my tweaked one!  I do recommend cooking longer than the original recipe suggests. I think my tart took about 50-55 minutes total to set completely.

This recipe was also kid-tested. My niece tried it and thought it was "awesome".  If you 'rewondering if this is Mr. T approved, he doesn't do tarts or quiches. Well, you know the old saying from the 80s...

Tomato Tart Recipe
Adapted from Cooking Light
Serves 8
244 calories per serving

1 refrigerated pie dough
Cooking spray (or use your Misto)
2/3 cup shredded Italian fontina cheese
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1/3 cup very thinly sliced shallots
3 large heirloom or Jersey tomatoes, seeded & cut in 1/2 inch slices (Note: I used a combo of red and yellow)
3 tablespoons flour
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 tablespoon thyme
1 1/4 cup 2% milk
1 1/2 tbsp grated Parmigiano cheese
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tbsp Herbs de Provence
2 pinches of hot red pepper flakes
Fresh basil (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie or tart pan with cooking spray and press pie dough into it. Layer cheese, olives and shallots over pie dough. Lay half of the tomato slices over shallots. Combine flour, cornmeal and thyme and sprinkle over tomato slices. Top with the rest of the tomato slices and sprinkle with salt and fresh black pepper. Combine milk, eggs, Parmigiano, hot red pepper flakes and Herbs de Provence. Pour into tart pan. Place baking sheet under tart pan to avoid drips and spills. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes or until eggs are set. Top with fresh basil if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment