Monday, September 26, 2011

Healthy Fish Taco Recipe - Baja Style

If you've ever had a fish taco you know how delicious they are. But Baja style means deep fried - delicious but not very figure friendly. I love 'em but I just don't eat fried food on regular basis. So this is my Baja fish taco hack. I use a baked and breaded frozen fish to make these healthier.
The other benefit is that using a prepared fish makes this dish incredibly easy and I'll take any time-saver I can get these days.
To make up the the lack of seasoning on the fish, I make the condiments a bit on the spicy side. It helps to pump up the flavors.


Healthy Fish Taco Recipe - Baja Style
Ingredients
4 Frozen breaded fish fillets (I used a really nice breaded cod from Sam's Club but I've also used Gorton's in a pinch)
Flour tortillas


Southwest Slaw:
2 cups coleslaw mix
3 tsp agave
3 tbs reduced fat sour cream
1/2 lime
1/2 tsp Goya light salt
4 tbs minced red onion
pinch of cumin
1/2 tsp chipotle sauce
5-6 dashes Tabasco sauce


Avocado Crema:
1 avocado
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
3-4 dashed Tabasco sauce
Salt to taste
3 squeezes of lime


Combine all Southwest Slaw ingredients together.  (Note: I generally let the slaw sit in the fridge for a few hours but it's not necessary.)
Bake fish fillets according to instructions.
Mash avocado and adding remaining crema ingredients.
Heat tortilla in a pan so that they are warm. Spread cream on tortilla. Slice fish fillets and add to tortilla. Top with slaw, squeeze some fresh lime over it and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment